Silicon nitride is a man made compound synthesized through several different chemical reaction methods. Parts are pressed and sintered by well developed methods to produce a ceramic with a unique set of outstanding properties. The material is dark gray to black in color and can be polished to a very smooth reflective surface, giving parts with a striking appearance.
Silicon nitride exceeds other ceramic materials in thermal shock resistance. It also offers an excellent combination of low density, high strength, low thermal expansion and good corrosion resistance and fracture toughness.
Silicon nitride has been used in a number of industrial applications, such as engine components, bearings and cutting tools.
• High strength over a wide temperature range
• High fracture toughness
• High hardness
• Good thermal shock resistance
• Good chemical resistance
• Outstanding wear resistance
• Rotating bearing balls and rollers
• Cutting tools
• Turbine blades, vanes, buckets
• Metal tube forming rolls and dies
• Precision shafts and axles
• Weld positioners